Lawyer Resources

Status Changes & Limited Admission

Status changes must be made in writing, either via the dues statement mailed annually in June or by filling out a blank dues statement (PDF).

Some changes require extra documentation with the request:

  • Judicial: send a copy of your appointment letter
  • Disabled: submit proof of disability from your doctor
  • Emeritus: submit certified affiliation with a qualified legal services provider
Classes Summary Description*
Active Practicing lawyers that represent clients in Virginia
Associate Non-practicing lawyers, such as law professors or lobbyists
Emeritus Experienced lawyers practicing only pro bono
Judicial Virginia judges and other qualified officers of the court
Retired 70+ in age and not practicing law in Virginia
Disabled Disabled lawyers not practicing law in Virginia
*see classes of membership as fully defined by the rules


Limited Admission

Corporate Counsel

Corporate Counsel are lawyers that provide legal advice to a for-profit or a non-profit corporation, association, or other business entity. Learn more about the options and about registering as corporate counsel in Virginia. 

Foreign Legal Consultants

This is a person admitted to practice law by the professional body or governmental authority of a foreign nation. Read the rule and apply with the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners.

Military Attorneys and Spouses

A military lawyer or military spouse may apply to the Board of Bar Examiners for a certificate to practice law. Read the rules about military lawyers and the military spouse provision. Virginia CLE sponsors a military spouse provisional admission course.

Pro Hac Vice

This rule allows an attorney from another jurisdiction to appear as counsel in a particular case. 

Frequently Asked Questions About Status Changes & Limited Admission

Updated: Aug 25, 2020