Virginia State Bar

An agency of the Supreme Court of Virginia

Adjust Text Size:   A   A

Real Property

A Section of the Virginia State Bar.

Meeting Minutes - February 15, 2012

Minutes of the Virginia State Bar
Real Property Section
Board of Governors

Conference Call

Pursuant to due notice, a conference call meeting of the Virginia State Bar Real Property Section Board of Governors convened at 2:00 p.m., February 15, 2012. Section Chair Paul Melnick presided and Secretary/Treasurer Bill Nusbaum recorded the minutes. Also present were Phil Hart, Paul Bellegarde, Lewis Biggs, Ken Dickinson, Randy Howard, Larry McElwain, Christina Meier and Cooper Youell. Barbara Goshorn was excused, and Susan Walker was absent. The Chair thanked everyone for taking the time to participate in the call.

I. Area Representatives. The Chair opened the review of Mr. McElwain's October 2011 survey of the Area Representatives by noting that many of the Area Reps had failed to reply, and suggesting that those of us who knew the non-responsive Area Reps should reach out to them to find out if they wished to continue to serve. Membership Chair McElwain noted that 29 of the 85 Area Reps surveyed failed to respond. Mr. Nusbaum suggested that we divide up the list of non-responders among those of us on the call and call them, to which all present agreed. Messrs. Melnick and Nusbaum went through the list and everyone took a few names to call, with the results to be reported to Messrs. Melnick and McElwain by 5 p.m. Friday, February 24.

Mr. Melnick restated, for the benefit of those making calls to Area Representatives, the Section Handbook's stated expectation that Area Reps attend a minimum of2 (and preferably 3) of the 4 yearly meetings of the Board of Governors and Area Representatives in person or by conference call, and participate on a Section committee. He added that any Area Representative who wished not to continue will be sent a letter thanking them for their service and welcoming them back as an Area Rep in the future if they change their mind. Those who continue as Area Reps will be included among the beneficiaries of the Virginia CLE book purchase credit.

II. Committees. The Chair suggested that there be a policy, even if informal, encouraging turnover among the Committee Chairs every few years. Mr. McElwain, calling it leadership training, advocated changing Committee Chairs every two to three years. Mr. Nusbaum noted that the Bylaws give the Section Chair the power to appoint Committee Chairs, so to reconcile such a policy with the Chair's power to appoint, we could formulate a policy for inclusion in the September 2012 revision of the Handbook to the effect that, "The appointment of new Committee Chairs every few years is commended to the Section Chair as a salutary policy to promote leadership development for the Section." Mr. Melnick asked that we add to the roster when each Committee Chair took office, so that their terms could be readily tracked.

III. Web Portal Update. Mr. Bellegarde advised that VSB Communications Director Rod Coggins has set March 23 as the date for Paul and Diane Bellegarde and Paul Melnick to meet with key members of the VSB Communications Committee to demonstrate the proposed Web Portal and seek approval for the Real Property Section to implement it.

IV. Report of Law School Liaison Ad Hoc Committee. Mr. Bellegarde reponed that the next programs promoting the real estate practice will be at the George Mason University and College of William & Mary law schools. Mr. Melnick offered to help with the George Mason event.

V. Next Meeting. The Chair advised that the next meeting of the Board of Govemors and Area Representatives would be at 10 a.m. on Friday, March 2, 2012, in the Tazewell Room at Kingsmill Resort.

VI. Courtland Traver Award. Mr. McElwain reported that the Virginia Bar Association had yet to respond as to whether its Real Estate Council could help to underwrite this year's Traver Award, adding that he thought it mote appropriate for the VSB Real Property Section to fund the award, anyway, since it's given for real estate CLE service. He proposed we move ahead with a fomlal budget change request to the State Bar to fund the Traver Award, at a maximum cost of $500, consistent with the motion adopted by the Board and Area Representatives meeting on January 20. The Chair agreed to do so, in time to fund this year's Traver Award on March 3.

VII. Adjournment. There being no other business, the Chair adjourned the meeting at 2:50 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

William L. Nusbaum
Secretary/Treasurer

APPROVED:
Paul Melnick, Chair

Meeting Minutes (.pdf) - February 15, 2012