Section Calendar of Meetings and Events
Annual Spring Ethics CLE Seminar
March 23, 2016
Handling Ethics and Privilege Issues in Patent Law: A Webinar for Intellectual Property Lawyers in Virginia
Webinar took place: March 23, 2016
A recording of the program is available here: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/recording/8682680970268192257.
The speaker was Thomas Spahn, partner at McGuireWoods LLP.
This program focused on ethics and privilege issues confronting patent and other intellectual property lawyers. Among other things, this program addressed:
- properly identifying a client in a corporate setting, in joint representations and with joint ventures
- conflicts of interest issues (such as the distinction between impermissible legal adversity and acceptable business adversity)
- privilege issues (including the primary purpose test and the waiver risk of dealing with third parties)
- transactional issues (including unauthorized practice of law/multijurisdictional practice standards; privilege and work product waiver risks during due diligence, and the common interest doctrine)
- litigation issues (including choice of law principles, fact and opinion work product protection, and express and implied waiver risks)