Section Calendar of Meetings and Events
Annual Spring Ethics CLE Seminar
March 23, 2016
Handling Ethics and Privilege Issues in Patent Law: A Webinar for Intellectual Property Lawyers in Virginia
Webinar took place: March 23, 2016
A recording of the program is available here: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/recording/8682680970268192257.
The speaker was Thomas Spahn, partner at McGuireWoods LLP.
This program focused on ethics and privilege issues confronting patent and other intellectual property lawyers. Among other things, this program addressed:
- properly identifying a client in a corporate setting, in joint representations and with joint ventures
- conflicts of interest issues (such as the distinction between impermissible legal adversity and acceptable business adversity)
- privilege issues (including the primary purpose test and the waiver risk of dealing with third parties)
- transactional issues (including unauthorized practice of law/multijurisdictional practice standards; privilege and work product waiver risks during due diligence, and the common interest doctrine)
- litigation issues (including choice of law principles, fact and opinion work product protection, and express and implied waiver risks)
2016 Student Writing Competition
May 20, 2016
The Virginia State Bar Intellectual Property Law Section is seeking papers written by law students who are attending law school in Virginia or are residents of Virginia attending law school outside of Virginia and relating to an intellectual property law issue or the practice of intellectual property law.
PRIZE: $5,000 (with a potential prize of $2,500 for the runner-up)
Plus publication on the IP Section's website
ENTRY DEADLINE: MAY 20, 2016