Minutes March 02
VSB Corporate Counsel Section
Board of Governors
March 14, 2002
|Board Members Present||Board Members Absent|
|Cathy Mayes, Chair||Edythe Katz|
|Lorri Kleine, Vice-Chair||Gail Waddell|
|Dan Maller, Immediate Past Chair|
|Philip Hart, Secretary|
|Dolly Shaffner, VSB Liaison|
The chair called the meeting of the Board of Governors (the "board") to order at 1:00 p.m. The meeting was held in Richmond at the Virginia State Bar offices.
Approval of Minutes. The Board approved the minutes from the December 13, 2001 meeting.
(1) Membership — Dolly reported that the section has 932 members.
(2) Treasurer — Dolly distributed a written treasurer’s report, a copy of which is attached to these minutes. The report showed that, as of February 28, 2002, the section had collected $18,480.00 and had a budget balance remaining of $11,597.40. Dolly also distributed and led a discussion of the proposed section budget for 2002-2003, a copy of which is attached to these minutes. The budget was adopted pursuant to motion made and seconded.
(1) Task Force Report — Admission on Waiver of Corporate Counsel — Cathy and David reported that the Task Force’s proposed Supreme Court Rule 1A:5 was approved by the VSB Council at its winter meeting in February, and the proposed rule will be presented to the Virginia Supreme Court in April 2002 for adoption. The proposed rule has been published in the Virginia Lawyer, and a number of comments about the MPRE requirement have been received.
(2) George Mason Liaison — David reported that officials at George Mason Law School would like the section to sponsor a career program for law students. David will head up an effort to put on such a program. Eileen, Scott and Dan agreed to help.
(3) Law School Writing Competition — Eileen reported that there have been two submissions. The deadline is tomorrow. Cathy, Scott and Eileen will be the judges.
(4) CLE — Darragh reported that the section will jointly sponsor a CLE program at the VSB Annual Meeting with the Bankruptcy and Business Law sections.
(1) Newsletter — Greg reported that the next deadline for the newsletter is April 15, 2002. Dan agreed to write an article about dealing with corporate purchasing departments, Darragh agreed to write an article about the upcoming CLE program, and Julie agreed to write an article about pro bono opportunities for in-house counsel. Greg asked each board member to consider writing an article for the newsletter at some time and to encourage attorneys with outside firms to do so as well.
(2) May Luncheons — Scott reported that the NOVA luncheon will be held on May 14, 2002, at Clyde’s in Tysons Corner. Greg will coordinate the Tidewater luncheon, and Philip will coordinate the Richmond luncheon. Philip reported that the Richmond luncheon will be held with the Richmond Bar Corporate Counsel Section.
(3) Nominating Committee — Dan reported that he will chair the nominating committee, on which Cathy Mayes and former Chair Don Fickenscher will also serve. There is one opening on the board for a term beginning 2003-2003 because Gail Waddell is completing her second three-year term and, according to the bylaws, she is not eligible for another term at this time. Darragh, Eileen and Lorri are completing their first three-year term and are willing to serve another three-year term.
(4) Annual Meeting — Cathy reminded the board about the VSB Annual Meeting and the board’s dinner on Thursday, June 13, 2002.
Next Meeting. The next meeting of the board will be held on June 14, 2002 following the section’s CLE program at the VSB Annual Meeting.