Meeting Minutes - September 24, 2009
Minutes of the Virginia State Bar Construction Law and Public Contracts Section
Board of Governors Meeting held on September 24, 2009 at 12:00 noon at the Virginia State Bar Office
The following Board of Governors members attended this meeting:
Greg St. Ours
The Honorable Robert Turk
1. Approval of Minutes: The Minutes from the prior meeting on June 19, 2009 were approved by the Board without further revision.
2. Financial Report/Budget: Dolly Shaffner reported that we have 769 section members. We have a remaining balance for this fiscal year of $8,962.26 based on our Construction Law Section Revenue Report. To the extent that we need extra funds, we can request permission from the Executive Committee to spend an additional $2,466.89 as a reimbursement for printing services in that amount should have been submitted during the last fiscal year but was not submitted by a VSB staff member until after the June 2009 cutoff.
3. Fall CLE: The Annual Fall CLE will be held at the Boar’s Head on November 6-7, 2009. The brochure is available on the VSB website. We have plenty of sponsors already signed up for this event. To the extent you are interested in playing golf, Richard Smith can take seven (7) people for $70 per person. Golf would begin at 12:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 5, 2009. On the evening of November 5, 2009, we will have dinner at C&O Restaurant. The VSB will pay for the food based on the $43 menu selected. The Board agrees to pay any amount over $60 per person to the extent it costs more than what is permitted by the VSB.
4. Five Year Plan: The Five-Year Plan has been approved. We will follow up on the Five-Year Plan now that it is in effect. Todd Metz suggested that we hold more programs and/or rotate the region in which they are conducted, beginning with a program in February or March 2010. Todd also suggested inviting past Chairs to the Thursday night dinner, and Kristan Burch will send out an invite to them.
5. Handbook: Shannon Briglia has completed the update for the handbook, and it has been sent to be posted on the website. Shannon also did an email which went out to Section members, letting them know the handbook has been updated through July 31, 2009. Our goal is to publish the handbook each year in September working off of a June 30 cutoff for materials. The Committee is considering obtaining digests from Section members this coming year.
6. Newsletter: Jennifer Mahar has completed the Newsletter, and it should be out in the next two weeks. Greg St. Ours is completing a Chair letter to include with the Newsletter.
7. Website: The Newsletter will go up on the website once it has been sent out. The brochure for the CLE already is up on the website, and the revised handbook also has been posted.
8. Publications: The next Construction devoted addition of the Virginia Lawyer will be in October 2010. We have one section in the publication where we can highlight the section. Each article needs to be 2,500 words, and the articles are due by August 11, 2010. To the extent that you want to submit an article, please propose a title to Webb by the end of the year for consideration. Please also let him know if you have any thoughts on the cover which will be construction related.
9. Summer CLE: Mike Branca is checking with other sections on partnering for the Annual Meeting CLE.
10. Old Business: The Executive Council will review the proposed bylaw changes in October 2009.
11. New Business: Leonard Vance has proposed co-hosting a CLE for 30 to 40 people that could be held at the VSB office on OSHA. Brett Marston volunteered to coordinate with Mr. Vance and Dolly Shaffner to see if we want to be involved. Richard Smith received responses on the upcoming CLE about which he circulated an email, and the negotiation speaker will be Jack Rephan with the CLE possibly on August 10, 2010. The issue was raised about whether there is a process for law students to be involved in VSB sections and committees. Dolly is going to check on this and will report back to the Board. Another option for involving law students is to host a writing competition to involve law students. We discussed the offer made by the ABA Forum on Construction regarding publication of its brochure and identifying us as a co-sponsor of the first reception. We discussed whether we should send out the brochure to our members, and no one objected to it as long as it was in return for them sending out our brochure. Greg St. Ours will follow-up with the ABA.
12. Next Meeting: Our next meeting will be on November 6, 2009 at 7:00 a.m. at the Boar’s Head. It will be a breakfast meeting at the Fall CLE.
Kristan B. Burch, Secretary
Kaufman & Canoles, P.C.
150 West Main Street
Norfolk, VA 23510