Virginia Legal Aid Award
Since 1992 at the Virginia State Bar’s Annual Meeting in Virginia Beach, an outstanding legal aid attorney has received the Virginia Legal Aid Award. Established by the bar’s Special Committee on Access to Legal Services, the award is presented at a luncheon for interested members of the legal aid and pro bono communities.
Past recipients have included program directors Henry L. Woodward, Henry W. McLaughlin III, Dale W. Pittman, John E. Whitfield, Alex R. Gulotta, William L. Botts III, James W. Speer, and Larry T. Harley. Attorneys Martin D. Wegbreit, Randi H. Blumenson, Steven L. Myers, Marilynn C. Goss, Mary C. Bauer, David D. Beidler, Renae R. Patrick, Nancy J. Glickman, Jill A. Hanken, Andrew K. Block Jr., Freddie L. Goode, Kathryn L. Pryor, Abigail Turner, R. Peyton Whiteley, John Rellick, and Christine E. Marra have also been honored. Jeremy White received the award in 2015. This year’s event is scheduled for Friday, June 17, 2016.
While there is no official form to complete, the Access Committee asks that nominations be in writing and include a description of how the nominee exhibits the following qualities in his or her work:
- Innovation and creativity in advocacy;
- Experience and excellence in service;
- Impact beyond his or her own program’s service area.
The nominee must be a member of the Virginia State Bar and an employee of a legal aid society licensed by the VSB to operate in Virginia.
The deadline for bar receipt of nominations and all supporting material is 5 p.m. Friday, March 25, 2016. Please submit all nominations to Access to Legal Services Committee, c/o Karl A. Doss, Virginia State Bar, 111 East Main Street, Suite 700, Richmond, Virginia 23219-3565. Direct questions to (804) 775-0522, Fax at (804) 775-0501, or e-mail email@example.com.
- 2015 Legal Aid Award Recognizes Jeremy P. White
- 2014 Legal Aid Award Recognizes Christine E. Marra
- 2013 Legal Aid Award Recognizes Tappahannock Attorney John R. Rellick
- 2012 Legal Aid Award Recognizes Abigail Turner of the Legal Aid Justice Center and R. Peyton Whiteley of Legal Services of Northern Virginia
- 2011 Legal Aid Award Recognizes Southwest Virginia Legal Aid Society director
- 2010 Legal Aid Award Recognizes Kathryn L. Pryor of Richmond
- 2009 Legal Aid Award Recognizes Freddie L. Goode of Richmond
- 2008 Legal Aid Award Recognizes Virginia Poverty Law Center Director