March 01, 2013
Virginia State Bar E-News, March 2013
Highlights of the Virginia State Bar Council meeting February 23, 2013 – Bar updates, reports, and a VSB move.
Nominations sought for VSB board and committee vacancies to be filled by Council in June, with terms beginning July 1, 2013. Submit nominations by March 30, 2013.
Comments are sought on a proposed rule amendment intended to bring Rule 5.4, Professional Independence of a Lawyer, into alignment with Va. Code §54.1-3902(B)(1). Comments are due by April 19, 2013.
The Young Lawyers Conference announces a new Professional Development Series (PDS), a weekly podcast devoted to newly sworn in attorneys and young lawyers. The programs will come from local and national sources, presenting programs on basic skills training, the business of the law, mental health issues, and long-term career options. Contact Chris Fortier at email@example.com to contribute content.
- The Solo & Small-Firm Practitioner Forum on March 28 in Smithfield will include a Town Hall Meeting, moderated by the Honorable LeRoy F. Millette Jr., Justice of the Supreme Court of Virginia, several ethics CLEs, and a presentation by President-elect Sharon Nelson on digital forensics.
- The Pro Bono Celebration on April 15 in Richmond will include a visit to the federal courthouse, followed by a tour of the Library of Virginia and a CLE (2.5 Ethics). Recipients of the 2013 Lewis F. Powell Jr. Pro Bono and Oliver W. Hill Law Student Pro Bono awards will be honored at a 7:00 p.m. ceremony.
- Space is still available at the webcast locations for the Ninth Annual Indigent Criminal Defense Seminar: Advanced Skills for the Experienced Practitioner on May 3. You may register for webcasts in Weyers Cave and in Wytheville. The Richmond Convention Center location is sold out. Space at webcasts is limited; don’t delay.
- The Midyear Legal Seminar is headed to Paris November 5-12, 2013. See the VSB’s Midyear Seminar website for details, and registration information.
- The General Practice Section of the Virginia State Bar is seeking nominations for its 27th Annual Tradition of Excellence Award.
- The VSB Special Committee on Access to Legal Services is accepting nominations through April 1 for its Virginia Legal Aid Award.