May 31, 2013
Virginia State Bar E-News, June 2013
Check your mail – Dues statements will be mailed June 14. The annual dues must be physically received at the Virginia State Bar by July 31, or delinquency fees will be assessed. All active members must pay the Clients' Protection Fund assessment and provide a completed and signed Mandatory Certification Regarding Professional Liability Insurance, also by July 31. Separate fines will be assessed for unpaid dues, unpaid CPF fees, and incomplete liability insurance certifications. Beginning June 17, you may renew your membership, certify your liability insurance coverage, join VSB sections, and pay your dues online by going to Member Login on the VSB home page.
Enclosed in your dues statement is a request for voluntary contributions to Legal Services Corporation of Virginia. Please take a moment to read the appeal and consider a donation. If your firm takes care of your dues payment for you, please ask the person responsible for opening and handling your dues form mailing to forward the legal aid donation letter to you personally.
Congratulations to the newly elected, reelected, and Court-appointed members of the Virginia State Bar Council.
The Virginia State Bar has been asked to evaluate candidates for a vacancy on the U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Virginia. Applications must be submitted by June 7, and interviews of candidates will take place on July 8 at the VSB offices in Richmond.
The Committee on Legal Ethics is seeking public comment on three proposed advisory LEOs by July 3:
- LEO 1870 – Application of Rule 4.2 in Cases where a Guardian Ad Litem has been Appointed to Represent a Child
- LEO 1871 – Inadvertent Receipt of Confidential Information during the Discovery Phase of Litigation
- LEO 1875 – Conflict Issues When a Government Lawyer is Furloughed from Employment and Asked to Continue Representing the Agency
LEO 1869, Assisting Pro Se Litigants – Courthouse Assistance Program, has been issued as final.
Last call for Annual Meeting online registration. Online pre-registration will be accepted until 5 p.m. Monday, June 10, or register on-site in Virginia Beach. Sharon D. Nelson of Fairfax will be sworn in as the 75th VSB president on Friday, June 14.
The Virginia Law Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Virginia's legal profession, is seeking an Executive Director.
- Lori D. Thompson and Polly Chong have been named Local Bar Leaders of the Year by the Conference of Local Bar Associations.
- Darrel Tillar Mason has been recognized with the Virginia State Bar Diversity Conference’s Clarence M. Dunnaville Jr. Achievement Award.
- The Young Lawyers Conference will present its 2013 R. Edwin Burnette Jr. Young Lawyer of the Year Award to Christopher R. Fortier of Vienna.
- Thomas Forster, a senior at Rockbridge County High School in Lexington, has been awarded first place in the 2013 Law in Society Contest.