March 01, 2014
Virginia State Bar E-News, March 2014
The Virginia State Bar is seeking public comment to a proposed amendment to the Bylaws of the Virginia State Bar and Council. Comments are due by May 5.
The comment deadline for Proposed Rule 5.8: Procedures for Lawyers Leaving Law Firms and Dissolution of Law Firms is March 6.
The Standing Committee on Legal Ethics is seeking public comment on: Amendment to Rule 1.10: Imputed Disqualification: General Rule. The deadline is March 7.
The Supreme Court of Virginia will start posting its unpublished orders on its website.
Audio recordings of oral arguments made before the Supreme Court of Virginia are now available on Virginia's Judicial System Website beginning with cases heard January 7.
The VSB and the Legal Information Network for Cancer (LINC) is offering a free webinar Meeting the Legal Needs of Clients Facing Serious Illness Through Pro Bono - Part 1: Introduction and Opportunities. Wednesday, March 26, 2 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Nominations are being sought for the following awards:
- The General Practice Section Tradition of Excellence Award. The nomination deadline is March 24.
- The Special Committee on Access to Legal Services Oliver White Hill Law Student Pro Bono Award. The nomination deadline is March 28.
- The Special Committee on Access to Legal Services Virginia Legal Aid Award. The nomination deadline is March 28.
- The Conference of Local Bar Associations new Bar Association of the Year Award. The nomination deadline is April 25.
- Please see the VSB Awards and Contests page for a list of all bar sponsored awards and deadlines.
Space is still available at the webcast locations for the Ninth Annual Indigent Criminal Defense Seminar: Advanced Skills for the Experienced Practitioner on May 2. You may register for webcasts in Weyers Cave and in Wytheville. The Richmond Convention Center location is sold out.
The VSB is sponsoring a VSB TECHSHOW at the Richmond Convention Center on May 19.
The Midyear Legal Seminar, which is paid for solely by the participants and not by bar dues, is headed to Madrid November 4-11. See the VSB’s Midyear Seminar website for details.
Beginning April 14, the VSB address will be 1111 East Main Street, Suite 700, Richmond, VA 23219-3565. New Bar Cards, including the new address, will be sent to members in the fall.Updated: Feb 28, 2014