February 01, 2017
Virginia State Bar E-News, February 2017
On January 31, 2017, the Supreme Court of Virginia amended the following rules, effective April 1, 2017:
- Rule 5:20. Petition for Rehearing After Refusal of Petition for Appeal, Refusal of Assignments of Cross-Error, or Disposition of an Original Jurisdiction Petition.
- Rule 5:37. Petition for Rehearing After Consideration by the Full Court.
- Rule 5A:15A. Denial of Petition for Appeal; Petition for Rehearing Filed by Electronic Means.
- Rule 5A:33. Rehearing--On Motion of a Party After Final Disposition of a Case.
- Rule 5A:34. Rehearing En Banc After Final Disposition of a Case.
The following actions of the Supreme Court of Virginia are effective March 1:
- Amendments to Paragraph 13-24 regarding Procedures for Disciplining, Suspending, and Disbarring Attorneys.
- Amendments to Section IV, Paragraph 13.1 of the Rules of the Supreme Court of Virginia regarding Suspension for Failure to Complete Professionalism Course.
The Court also made the following changes:
- Addition of Rule 1:24 regarding Requirements for Court Payment Plans for the Collection of Fines and Costs (effective February 1, 2017).
The Virginia State Bar’s Standing Committee on Legal Ethics will send to Council for its review and approval proposed amendments to Rules 7.1 - 7.5 of the Rules of Professional Conduct that govern lawyer advertising.
If you are interested in serving on Council, the Virginia State Bar's governing body, there will be an election conducted in the following circuits by electronic ballot: 1, 2, 4, 7, 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, 18, 19, 20 and 25. To be eligible to run, you must be an active member in good standing of the circuit as of March 15, 2017. You must file a nominating petition with the executive director at firstname.lastname@example.org on or before March 31, 2017. The nominating petition shall be signed by not fewer than ten other members eligible to vote in the circuit, and shall be accompanied by a statement of qualifications not exceeding one hundred and fifty words (in Word format) and a digital photograph (head shot). It is recommended you describe what is it about your background that makes you well suited to the position and what you hope to accomplish as a member of bar council.
The Standing Committee on Lawyer Discipline calls for nominations for district committee vacancies to be filled by Council in June.
President-elect Doris Causey seeks members for Virginia State Bar committees with terms commencing July 1, 2017.
Volunteers are needed to serve the Virginia State Bar’s boards and committees. The Nominating Committee will refer nominees to the VSB Council for consideration at its June meeting.
Registration is open for the 47th Annual Criminal Law Seminar, sponsored by the VSB Criminal Law Section and Virginia CLE, on February 3 in Williamsburg and February 10 in Charlottesville.
On February 22, 2017, the Litigation Section of the VSB will host a free appellate CLE, Your “A” Game: Practicing Before the Supreme Court of Virginia. This CLE will address the keys to effective practice before the Supreme Court of Virginia, including practice tips from a retired justice of the Supreme Court of Virginia.
The annual Law in Society essay contest for high school students is accepting entries. The deadline is February 10.
The VSB is seeking nominations for the following awards:
- The General Practice Section Tradition of Excellence Award. The nomination deadline is March 20.
- The Special Committee on Access to Legal Services Oliver White Hill Law Student Pro Bono Award. The nomination deadline is March 24, 2017.
- The Special Committee on Access to Legal Services Virginia Legal Aid Award. The nomination deadline is March 24, 2017.
- The Conference of Local Bar Associations Awards of Merit, Local Bar Leader of the Year Award, Specialty Bar Leader of the Year, and Bar Association of the Year Award. The nomination deadline is April 28.
Registration is open for the following:
- March 3-4 Virginia Academy of Elder Law Attorneys 10th Annual UnProgram at the Boar's Head Inn, Charlottesville.
- March 8 – Annual Bench-Bar Dinner, University of Richmond Jepson Alumni Center.
- March 10 – Bar Leaders Institute, Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden, Richmond.
- April 7 – Solo & Small-Firm Practitioner Forum, Holiday Inn Downtown, Lynchburg.
- April 24 – VSB TECHSHOW – Greater Richmond Convention Center, Richmond.