January 31, 2014
Virginia State Bar E-News, February 2014
The comment deadline for Proposed Rule 5.8: Procedures for Lawyers Leaving Law Firms and Dissolution of Law Firms has been extended to March 6, 2014.
The Standing Committee on Legal Ethics is seeking public comment on two proposals:
- Amendment to Rule 1.10: Imputed Disqualification: General Rule
- Legal Ethics Opinion 1873: Continued Use of Former Firm Name in URL after Firm Name Has Changed
At its February 22 meeting, the Council will review for approval Unauthorized Practice of Law Opinion 217: Non-Lawyer Acting as Prosecutor in a Criminal Contempt Proceeding
Update February 18, 2014: Unauthorized Practice of Law Opinion 217 is no longer on the agenda for VSB Council to review. It will undergo further study by the UPL Committee.
The names of VSB members who were administratively suspended on October 9, 2013, for failing to comply with membership obligations have been posted, as required by the Rules of Court. The list is current as of January 28, 2014.
Virginia State Bar President-elect Kevin E. Martingayle is requesting nominations for VSB committees. The application deadline is February 28, and terms start July 1.
The Standing Committee on Lawyer Discipline calls for nominations for district committee vacancies to be filled by Council in June.
The Solo and Small-Firm Practitioner Forum and Regional Bench Bar Conference will be at the Institute for Advanced Learning and Research in Danville on March 7, 2014. The agenda and registration information will be posted as soon as it becomes available.
Space is available for the tenth annual Indigent Criminal Defense Seminar: Advanced Skills for the Experienced Practitioner. You may register for the May 2 event at the Richmond Convention Center or webcasts in Weyers Cave and Wytheville.
February 7 is the deadline for the Commonwealth Law School Consortium Spring Interview Program in Richmond on Friday, March 21. Employers will be able to interview first- and second-year students for summer positions and May 2014 graduates for entry-level attorney positions.
Save the date. The Virginia State Bar is sponsoring a VSB TECHSHOW at the Richmond Convention Center on May 19.
Audio recordings of oral arguments made before the Supreme Court of Virginia are now available on Virginia's Judicial System Website beginning with cases heard Tuesday, January 7, 2014.
Beginning April 14, 2014, the VSB address will be 1111 East Main Street, Suite 700, Richmond, VA 23219-3565. New Bar Cards, including the new address, will be sent to members in the fall.
Nominations are being sought for the following awards:
- The Conference of Local Bar Associations new Bar Association of the Year Award. The nomination deadline is April 25, 2014.
- The General Practice Section Tradition of Excellence Award. The nomination deadline is March 24, 2014.
- The Special Committee on Access to Legal Services Oliver White Hill Law Student Pro Bono Award. The nomination deadline is March 28, 2014.
- The Special Committee on Access to Legal Services Virginia Legal Aid Award. The nomination deadline is March 28, 2014.
- Please see the VSB Awards and Contests page for a list of all bar sponsored awards and deadlines.