December 15, 2016
Supreme Court of Virginia Acts on Rules, Judicial Canons, Ethics Opinion
On December 15, 2017, the Supreme Court of Virginia took the following actions:
- Amended Paragraph 13-24 regarding Procedures for Disciplining, Suspending, and Disbarring Attorneys. Effective March 1, 2017.
- Amended portions of Rule 3B:2 and Rule 3C:2 regarding Uniform Fine Schedule. Effective immediately.
- Amended Section IV, Paragraph 13.1 of the Rules of the Supreme Court of Virginia regarding Suspension for Failure to Complete the Professionalism Course. Effective March 1, 2017.
- Amended Rule 5:6 regarding Forms of Briefs and Other Papers. Effective immediately.
- Amended the Canons of Judicial Conduct, Section III Title, comments on Canons 2, 4, and 6. Effective immediately.
- Amended and adopted Legal Ethics Opinion 1886 regarding the duty of partners and supervisory lawyers in a law firm when another lawyer in the firm suffers from significant impairment. Effective immediately.