June 04, 2007
Results of 2007-08 Virginia State Bar Council Elections
Congratulations to the newly elected and re-elected members of the 2007-08 Virginia State Bar Council.
Manuel A. Capsalis was unopposed and will be formally elected as the VSB’s president elect during the Annual Meeting in Virginia Beach, June 14-17.
Steven B. Novey was re-elected in the 6th Judicial Circuit.
Four new members were elected at meetings in the following circuits:
- William H. Riddick III will succeed Richard E. Railey Jr. in the 5th Judicial Circuit.
- Mark B. Holland will succeed David A. Furrow in the 22nd Judicial Circuit.
- Aubrey J. Rosser Jr. will succeed Gary M. Coates in the 24th Judicial Circuit.
- C. Eugene Compton will succeed Thomas R. Scott in the 29th Judicial Circuit.
Mail ballot elections were held in four circuits this year. The following council members were re-elected without opposition:
- Theopani K. Stamos in the 17th Judicial Circuit
- John D. Whittington in the 31st Judicial Circuit
The following council members were newly elected without opposition:
- George M. Willson will succeed Robert C. Barclay IV in the 3rd Judicial Circuit.
- Ronald R. Tweel will succeed J. Page Williams in the 16th Judicial Circuit.
- Mark D. Cummings will succeed Manuel A. Capsalis in the 17th Judicial Circuit.
- Gregory T. Hunter will succeed Jennifer A. Brust in the 17th Judicial Circuit.
- Peter C. Burnett will succeed Jon D. Huddleston in the 20th Judicial Circuit.
- Christopher W. Stevens will succeed John P. Fishwick Jr. in the 23rd Judicial Circuit.
- Michael J. Barbour will succeed Edwin C. Stone in the 27th Judicial Circuit.
The results of the five contested mail ballot elections were as follows:
- 2nd Judicial Circuit – one seat
Kevin E. Martingayle 210
Patrick J. Connolly 154
- 4th Judicial Circuit – one seat
John Y. Richardson 263
T. Wayne Williams 38
- 13th Judicial Circuit – one seat
Brian L. Buniva 354
Curtis M. Hairston Jr. 328
- 19th Judicial Circuit – three seats
Edward L. Weiner 524
Sharon D. Nelson 448
Leslie W. Hoffman 394
Michael M. York 241
Alexander J. Gordon 239
H. Darlene Lesser 223
Updated: Jun 07, 2007
Margaret A. Nelson was appointed by the Supreme Court of Virginia to the member-at-large vacancy, replacing Alda L. White