June 01, 2014
Virginia State Bar E-News, June 2014
Check your mail – Dues statements will be mailed June 18. The annual dues must be physically received at the Virginia State Bar by July 31, or delinquency fees will be assessed. All active members must pay the Clients' Protection Fund assessment and provide a completed and signed Mandatory Certification Regarding Professional Liability Insurance, also by July 31. Separate fines will be assessed for unpaid dues, unpaid CPF fees, and incomplete liability insurance certifications. Beginning June 18, you may renew your membership, certify your liability insurance coverage, join VSB sections, and pay your dues online by going to Member Login on the VSB home page. Beginning this year Corporate Counsel registrants may also use this feature.
Enclosed in your dues statement is a request for voluntary contributions to Legal Services Corporation of Virginia. Please take a moment to read the appeal and consider a donation.
The Advisory Committee on Rules of Practice and Procedure, a subcommittee of Judicial Council, seeks comments on proposed amendments to Rule 2:803, Business Records Rule Reformatting, and Rule 4:11, Numerical Limit on Requests For Admissions, of the Rules of the Supreme Court of Virginia.
Effective May 16, 2014, the Supreme Court of Virginia has amended rules 5:1A, 5:17, and 5A:12, and added rule 5A:1A. All concern Penalties for Non-compliance; Show Cause; Dismissal, and Petitions for Appeal.
Effective July 1, 2014, the Court has added Rule 1A:8, Military Spouse Provisional Admission.
The VSB Executive Committee is seeking comments on a proposal to add e-mail and phone numbers to members’ address of record. Comments are due by August 15 to the VSB offices or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register for the June 19 VSB & Legal Information Network for Cancer webinar, Meeting the Legal Needs of Individuals Facing Serious Illness Through Pro Bono: Part 4 – Social Security Benefits.
Congratulations to the newly elected, reelected, and Court-appointed members of the Virginia State Bar Council.
Last call for Annual Meeting online registration. Online pre-registration will be accepted until 5 p.m. Monday, June 9, or register on-site in Virginia Beach. Kevin E. Martingayle of Virginia Beach will be sworn in as the 76th VSB president on Friday, June 13.
The 2014 Midyear Legal Seminar is headed to Madrid, Spain, November 4-11, with an optional extension trip to Barcelona, November 11-15. Limited space is still available. Don’t delay; register right away. See the VSB’s Midyear Seminar website for details.
Beginning in June, the Virginia Lawyer Register will appear in Virginia Lawyer magazine rather than as a separate publication. The combined Virginia Lawyer and Virginia Lawyer Register will be published six times per year.
- Kathleen M. Uston has been named Local Bar Leader of the Year by the Conference of Local Bar Associations.
- Martha JP McQuade is the recipient of the 2014 Diversity Conference’s Clarence M. Dunnaville Jr. Achievement Award.
- Edwin J. Wu, an assistant public defender in Portsmouth, is the recipient of the Virginia State Bar Young Lawyers Conference 2014 R. Edwin Burnette Jr. Young Lawyer of the Year Award.
- Christine E. (Christie) Marra has been selected as the recipient of the 2014 Virginia Legal Aid Award by the Access to Legal Services Committee.
- Kathleen Dwyer, a graduate of the University of Richmond School of Law and Virginia Tech, is the recipient of the 2014 Oliver White Hill Law Student Pro Bono Award.
- The Roanoke Bar Association has been named Bar Association of the Year by the Conference of Local Bar Associations.
- Timothy Park, a senior at Trinity Christian School in Fairfax, has won first place in the 2014 Law in Society Contest.