January 03, 2017
Virginia State Bar E-News, January 2017
On December 15, 2017, the Supreme Court of Virginia took the following actions:
- Amended Paragraph 13-24 regarding Procedures for Disciplining, Suspending, and Disbarring Attorneys. Effective March 1, 2017.
- Amended Section IV, Paragraph 13.1 of the Rules of the Supreme Court of Virginia regarding Suspension for Failure to Complete Professionalism Course. Effective March 1, 2017.
- Amended portions of Rule 3B:2 and Rule 3C:2 regarding Uniform Fine Schedule. Effective immediately.
- Amended Rule 5:6 regarding Forms of Briefs and Other Papers. Effective immediately.
- Amended the Canons of Judicial Conduct, Section III Title, comments on Canons 2, 4, and 6. Effective immediately.
- Amended and adopted Legal Ethics Opinion 1886 regarding the duty of partners and supervisory lawyers in a law firm when another lawyer in the firm suffers from significant impairment. Effective immediately.
The Supreme Court of Virginia approved the following changes to the Rules of the Court, effective January 1, 2017:
- Relocation of Rule 5:8A to replace Rule 1:2 regarding Appeal From Partial Final Judgment in Multi-Party Cases;
- Amendment to Rule 1:5 regarding Counsel and Parties Appearing Without Counsel;
- Amendment to Rule 4:1(b)(4)(D) regarding General Provisions Governing Discovery;
- Amendment to Rule 5:24 regarding Security for Appeal; and
- Amendment to Rule 5A:17 regarding Security for Appeal.
The Court also made the following changes:
- Amendment to Rule 5:30 regarding Briefs Amicus Curiae (effective January 1, 2017);
- Addition of Rule 1:25 regarding Specialty Dockets (effective January 16, 2017); and
- Addition of Rule 1:24 regarding Requirements for Court Payment Plans for the Collection of Fines and Costs (effective February 1, 2017).
The Virginia State Bar’s Standing Committee on Legal Ethics will send to the Council for its review and approval proposed amendments to Rules 7.1 - 7.5 of the Rules of Professional Conduct that govern lawyer advertising.
The Clients’ Protection Fund Board is seeking comment on proposed amendments to the CPF rules. The comment deadline is January 17.
The Standing Committee on Lawyer Discipline calls for nominations for district committee vacancies to be filled by Council in June. The nominations deadline is February 28, 2017.
President-elect Doris Causey seeks members for Virginia State Bar committees with terms commencing July 1, 2017. The deadline to apply is February 24, 2017.
Volunteers are needed to serve the Virginia State Bar’s boards and committees. The nominations deadline is March 10, 2017. The Nominating Committee will refer nominees to the VSB Council for consideration at its June meeting.
Registration is open for the 47th Annual Criminal Law Seminar, sponsored by the VSB Criminal Law Section and Virginia CLE, on February 3 in Williamsburg and February 10 in Charlottesville.
The VSB is seeking nominations for the following awards:
- Betty A. Thompson Lifetime Achievement Award and Family Law Service Award. The nomination deadline is January 30.
- The Conference of Local Bar Associations Awards of Merit, Local Bar Leader of the Year Award, Specialty Bar Leader of the Year Award, and Bar Association of the Year Award. The nomination deadline is April 28.
- The General Practice Section Tradition of Excellence Award. The nomination deadline is March 20.
- The Special Committee on Access to Legal Services Oliver White Hill Law Student Pro Bono Award. The nomination deadline is March 24, 2017.
- The Special Committee on Access to Legal Services Virginia Legal Aid Award. The nomination deadline is March 24, 2017.
The annual Law in Society essay contest for high school students is accepting entries.
SAVE THE DATES:
- March 8 – Annual Bench-Bar Dinner, University of Richmond Jepson Alumni Center.
- March 10 – Bar Leaders Institute, Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden, Richmond.
- April 7 – Solo & Small-Firm Practitioner Forum, Holiday Inn Downtown, Lynchburg.
- April 24 – VSB TECHSHOW – Greater Richmond Convention Center, Richmond.
Registration is open for the March 3-4 Virginia Academy of Elder Law Attorneys 10th Annual UnProgram at the Boar's Head Inn, Charlottesville.Updated: Dec 29, 2016