Mandatory Continuing Legal Education
Update on MCLE Course for Reciprocity Applicants
The MCLE Board is seeking comment on proposed changes to Opinion 14 regarding the standards for written instructional materials for approved CLE courses. More info.
12 CLE hours including 2 hours in ethics/professionalism and 4 hours from live, interactive programs by October 31, 2017
Email and FAX are not accepted (fax machine disabled) after November 1 for Form 1, end of year compliance.
- MCLE DEADLINE: October 31, 2017
Failure to complete 12 CLE hours including 2 hours in ethics/professionalism and 4 hours from live, interactive programs by October 31, 2017, will result in a $100 non-compliance fee.
- MCLE REPORTING DEADLINE: December 15, 2017
Failure to certify the required MCLE hours by December 15, 2017, will result in a $100 late filing fee. Must be reported online or received in MCLE office by 4:45 p.m.
- ADDITIONAL LATE FILING FEE: February 1, 2018
Failure to certify the required MCLE hours by February 1, 2018, will result in an ADDITIONAL $100 late filing fee.
Current Virginia Approved Courses
- Course List Live and Pre-recorded Group Video programs 4/11/17-6/30/17 (PDF file)
- Course List Telephone Webcast 4/11/17-06/30/17 (PDF file)
- Approved Online Sponsors (PDF file) updated 10/9/14
- Accredited Sponsors (PDF file) updated 6/23/16
- VSB Professionalism Course Dates and Registration Form (PDF file)
- 60-Day Notice of Impending Suspension Instructions for Compliance with the MCLE Requirement (PDF file)
- Form 1 - Instructions and Form (PDF file)
- Form 1 - Form Only (PDF file)
- Certifying Your MCLE Attendance
- MCLE FAQs for New Admittees
- FAQs about the 2012 MCLE Regulation Changes
- Supreme Court Rules Governing MCLE See the Rules of the Supreme Court of Virginia Part 6, Paragraph 17 of the Professional Guidelines
- MCLE Regulations (effective November 1, 2011)
- Opinion 1,2,3,5,6,7 - Waivers
- Opinions 4,9,10 - Course Approval
- Opinion 8 - Taped Courses
- Opinion 11 - Advertisement by Sponsors
- Opinion 12 - Carryover Credit
- Opinion 13 - Legal Ethics
- Opinion 14 - Written Materials
- Opinion 15 - Vendor Programs
- Opinion 16 - Distance Learning Programs
- Opinion 17 - Law Office Management Programs
- Opinion 18 - Law Firm Sponsored Courses and Programs
- Opinion 19 – Substance abuse, mental health disorders, stress and work/life balance topics
- Opinion 20 - Interpretive Guidance for Courses Approved under Va. Supreme Court Rule 1A:1(b)(3)
- Form 2 - Certification of Attendance (editable PDF file)
- Form 3 - Certification of Teaching (editable PDF file)
- Applications for MCLE Course Approval
- Course Sponsor Application - Form 4 (editable PDF file)
- Law Firm Application - Form 4 (editable PDF file)
- Attorney Individual Application - Form 4 - Application & Instructions for CLE Course Approval (editable PDF file)
Notice: Beginning November 1, 2014, applications for individual course approval received or that remain incomplete more than 90 days following the date of the program will be subject to a $50 late application fee. Please review your records and apply NOW for any non-approved course attended that you wish applied to your MCLE requirement or for carryover credit.
- Virginia CLE (This link will take you from the VSB website to the VaCLE website.)
*Note: Some of the documents above are in Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf). If you have the Adobe Acrobat Reader on your PC, you can view and print these documents. If you do not have the Acrobat Reader, you can download a free copy, by clicking here.Updated: Apr 26, 2017