Professional Development Series
The Professional Development Series is a weekly podcast series devoted to our newly sworn in attorneys and young lawyers. The PDS will present programs bringing basic skills training, introducing the business of the law, educating on mental health issues, and showcasing long term career options. Programs will come from a variety of sources locally and from around the country. If you are interested in contributing content, contact Chris Fortier at email@example.com.
Networking During the Holidays
Before you head home for the holidays or hit the holiday party circuit, learn how to make the most of social events and family gatherings in advancing your career and practice development prospects. Do not waste this wonderful season sitting on the sidelines! Law students, young lawyers and those new to client development will hear answers to the questions below. Recorded by the ABA Young Lawyers Division and Section of Business Law in November 2012.
Matthew W. Barnes, Partner, Burr & Forman LLP, Birmingham, AL
Jasmin N. French, Corporate Associate, Ice Miller LLP, Indianapolis, IN
Charles R. Gallagher, III, Managing Partner at Gallagher & Associates Law Firm, P.A. St. Petersburg, FL
Jill Eckert McCall, Director, American Bar Association Center for Professional Development, Chicago, IL
Barbara Mendel Mayden, Member, Young Mayden LLC, Legal Search and Law Firm Consulting, Nashville, TN
Lynn A. Howell, Houston, TX and Gulfport, FL
- How should I best prepare myself to attend networking functions during the holidays?
- How do I capitalize on bar association events over the holidays?
- How can I most effectively follow-up with contacts I meet at holiday events and happy hours?
- How do I brand my skills into a cohesive story and powerful elevator pitch?
- What are the benefits of seeking out mentors for professional development?
- How can I take advantage of social networking, and what are the best ways to utilize the resources out there?
- How do I connect the dots between online and in-person extracurricular activities and a career path?