Real Property Section
Philip Hart, chair
Membership: As of June 11, 2013, the section had 1,890 members.
The budget for 2012-13 was $37,120.00. At fiscal year-end, there was a surplus of $10,974.
The board of governors and area representatives met four times:
- Fall Meeting – September, 7, 2012, at the Virginia CLE Office in Charlottesville
- Winter Meeting – January 25, 2013, at the Williamsburg Inn in Williamsburg (in conjunction with the VBA Annual Meeting)
- Spring Meeting – March 7-8, 2013, at Kingsnill in Williamsburg (in conjunction with the section’s 17th Annual Advanced Real Estate Seminar)
- Summer Meeting – June, 15, 2013, at Virginia Beach (in conjunction with the VSB Annual Meeting)
- The section’s annual meeting was held on June 14, 2013, in Virginia Beach.
A meeting of the section’s Nominating Committee was held on May 24, 2013, to decide upon a slate of candidates to nominate for officer positions and openings on the board of governors at the annual meeting.
The section sponsored, with Virginia CLE, the 17th Annual Advanced Real Estate Seminar on March 7-8, 2013, and the 31st Annual Real Estate Practice Seminar on May 7, 8 and 14, 2013, and presented a CLE program (with the Local Government Practice Section) titled “Eminent Domain Constitutional Amendment – Cheer and Jeers” on June 14, 2013, at the VSB Annual Meeting.
Other educational activities included:
- Publication of the November 2012 and May 2013 editions of The Fee Simple (Volume XXXIII, Number 2 and Volume XXXIV, Number 1, respectively), the section’s newsletter.
- Continuing support of a project started by the section’s Eminent Domain Committee, chaired by Chuck Lollar, to prepare and produce for publication a pamphlet titled “Understanding Condemnation – A Guide for Landowners.”
- Providing a credit of $20 per person for section members attending the section’s annual Real Estate Practice Seminar.
- Engaging a student editorial assistant to assist with the publication of The Fee Simple.
- Co-sponsoring (with Virginia CLE) the Courtland Traver Award, which is presented annually to recognize outstanding contributions to continuing legal education. The 2013 recipients of the award were Pia Trigini and David Mercer.
The Section’s Membership Committee, chaired by Larry McElwain, updated the board of governors and area representatives Handbook in September 2012.
The Section also continued efforts from previous years to work with the communications staff at the VSB to explore establishment of an interactive website that would be accessible by section members to better facilitate the exchange of information and ideas.
The section’s Law School Liaison Committee, chaired by Paul Bellgarde, made several presentations at law schools around the commonwealth about real estate practice. One committee member, Ron Willey, co-taught an advanced real estate class at the T.C. Williams School of Law at the University of Richmond as a part of this effort.
Election of Officers and New Board of Governors Members:
At the section’s annual meeting on June, 2013, the following persons were elected to the following positions:
Chair – William Nusbaum
Vice-Chair – Cooper Yowell
Secretary/Treasurer – Susan Walker
Member, board of governor (3-year Term):
Philip Hart will serve as immediate past chair in 2012-13.
Updated: Oct 03, 2013