Health Law Section
Brent Rawlings, chair
Number of members as of June 30, 2013: 608
Budget for fiscal year ending June 30, 2013: $7,200
Activities & Continuing Legal Education
- VSB Annual Meeting – The section, in conjunction with the Litigation Section, provided a session at the 2013 VSB Annual Meeting titled “Navigating the Sea of Rules and Regulations on Medical Records Privacy and Medical Evidence in Virginia.”
- 14th Annual Virginia Health Law Legislative Update – On May 8, 2013, the section co-sponsored the annual Virginia Health Law Legislative Update with The Virginia Bar Association. During this half-day-long program, members of the Virginia government presented information on the status of and on changes to various health-related programs.
- National Health Care Decisions Day – Since 2006, the section has spearheaded an annual, statewide Health Care Decisions Day to raise public awareness for the need to plan ahead for health care decisions related to end of life care and for medical decision-making. Board members participated in updating the Virginia State Bar website with information regarding health care decisions to make the page consistent with changes in the law.
- Webpage Project – The section continued to make improvements to the content of its web page in an effort to make it a more useful resource to members.
- Writing Competition – The section continued planning for a health law writing competition among Virginia law schools. The competition will grant monetary awards and possible publication opportunities to the winner.
- Newsletters – The section published a winter and a spring newsletter featuring articles authored by section members and Virginia Register health care regulatory updates.
- 2012-2013 Section Officers: Brent Rawlings, chair; Elizabeth Griffin, vice chair; Michelle Calloway, secretary; John Mumford, immediate past chair.
- 2013-2014 Section Officers: Elizabeth Griffin, chair; Michelle Calloway, vice chair; Jeremy Ball, secretary; Brent Rawlings, immediate past chair.