Conference of Local Bar Associations
Edward L. Weiner, chair
In July 2012, the Conference of Local Bar Associations had 118 local and specialty bar associations represented by conference representatives.
Bar Leader’s Institute and Solo and Small Firm Practitioner Forums
The Bar Leaders Institute was held March 5, 2012, at the University of Richmond School of Law. Elizabeth Derrico, Associate Director for Bar Information and Management at the ABA Division for Bar Services, presented a two-hour session on strategic planning. A panel led by Gifford Hampshire shared resources and programs available to bar associations. Mike Pace encouraged bar associations to get involved in the VBA’s Rule of Law Program in their local schools. The program concluded with the VSB Bench-Bar Relations Committee presenting a session titled “Engaging Judges in Your Bar Association.”
This year the CLBA presented three Solo & Small-Firm Practitioner Forums. These events were presented at Stratford Hall in Stratford on November 17, 2011, Longwood University in Farmville on April 4, 2012, and Mountain Empire Community College in Big Stone Gap on April 27, 2012. Topics at these events included “The Legal Ethics of Social Media,” “Protecting Your and Your Clients Interests,” “Lifesaving Research Tricks on Fastcase” and “Recent Developments in the Law of Legal Ethics.” There was also a presentation by Lawyers Helping Lawyers’ Executive Director James E. Leffler. The program offered five hours of CLE, including four hours of ethics. Town hall meetings with the Supreme Court of Virginia were held at each location. The Honorable William C. Mims (Stratford), the Honorable Donald W. Lemons (Farmville) and the Honorable Cynthia D.F. Kinser (Big Stone Gap) were the extraordinary moderators.
As always, attendance at the CLBA annual breakfast was jovial. Besides the routine business of the meeting, a presentation on how local bars can benefit from the Law in Society essay contest was enjoyed by all. Six Awards of Merit and nine Certificates of Achievement were presented to ten local, specialty, and statewide bars. The Hawaiian breakfast theme has now become tradition at this annual convention.
So You’re 18 will be updated, reprinted, and ready for distribution in fall 2012.
2012-13 CLBA Executive Committee members:
- Chair: P. George Eliades II — Hopewell Bar Association
- Chair-elect: Eugene M. Elliott Jr. — Roanoke Bar Association
- Secretary: Mary M. Benzinger — Arlington County Bar Association
- Treasurer: George W. Nolley — Campbell County Bar Association
- Past Chair: Edward L. Weiner — Fairfax Bar Association
- At-Large: Barbara S. Anderson — The Alexandria Bar Association
- At-Large: Jack W. Burtch Jr. — Bar Association of the City of Richmond
- At-Large: R. Elizabeth Duffie — Colonial Heights Bar Association
- At-Large: David W. Lannetti — Norfolk & Portsmouth Bar Association
- At-Large: B. Alan McGraw — Tazewell County Bar Association
- At-Large: Petula C.A. Metzler — Prince William County Bar Association
- At-Large: Juan A. Milanes — Hispanic Bar Association of Virginia
- At-Large: Chuong D. Nguyen — Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Virginia
- At-Large: Renae R. Patrick — Virginia Women Attorneys Association, Loudoun Chapter