On Friday March 27th, we canceled the Virginia State Bar's planned Midyear Legal Seminar trip to Israel. The decision was based primarily on a U.S. State Department advisory: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/israel.html, "Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements." We were forced to conclude there were potential difficulties some of our VSB members might face in obtaining entry to Israel. Additionally, we were well short of the required number of confirmed attendees necessary for the trip to proceed.
President-elect Edward L. Weiner, chair of the Midyear Legal Seminar Committee, communicated with the Israeli Embassy. An embassy official expressed a desire to facilitate the trip but acknowledged that security protocols are strict and could lead to exclusion or restriction of some VSB members.
In the face of this information, we felt it necessary and appropriate to forego this trip. This was not a political decision and is not a "boycott." We are an inclusive organization and do not discriminate against any religion.
- Comments Sought on Proposed Amendments to Rules
- Legal Ethics Opinion 1876 Now Final
- Betty Moore Sandler Honored for Lifetime Achievement in Family Law
- Colleen M. Quinn Receives Family Law Service Award
- James C. Roberts, 1932—2015
- Retired Magistrate Judge B. Waugh Crigler Receives VSB Leadership in Education Award
Meetings and Events
- 3/26/2015 - 3/29/2015
- VTLA Annual Convention
- VSB Committee on Lawyer Discipline Rules Subcommittee
- VSB Committee on Lawyer Discipline
- VSB Nominating Committee
- VSB Litigation Section Board of Governors Meeting
- VSB Law School Professionalism Program
- VSB Unauthorized Practice of Law
- VSB Senior Lawyers Conference Board Meeting
- VSB Administrative Law Board of Governors Meeting
- VSB Construction Law Section, Board of Governors Teleconference